810 Fifth Avenue is a luxury residential housing cooperative, located across the street from the stately Knickerbocker Club and considered one of the best addresses on Fifth Avenue. It was designed by J. E. R. Carpenter who was the leading architect of luxury apartment buildings in the city in the early and mid-1920's. Built in 1926, this pre-war Renaissance-style full-service 13 story apartment building's elegant exterior is limestone-clad and the lobby features bronze torchieres and an elaborate carved plasterwork ceiling. The building contains only 12 apartments: a ground floor maisonette, 10 full-floor apartments and a multi-floor penthouse. Every apartment has windows offering wonderful views of Central Park and Midtown. Each full floor apartment has 5,000 square feet of space, four bedrooms and four servant's rooms. The elevator opens into a private entrance foyer on each floor. The New York Times once speculated that 810 might be the only apartment building in the city to have "more employees than apartments."